Saturday, June 12, 2010

Chapter ONE of TWELVE!

'May Goes Away,' the (long novella/short novel) I'm writing, has a first chapter. It's unfit for human consumption, and I probably wouldn't have the heart to feed it to the murderous abomination that I'm dog-sitting, either.

While the narrative voice is third person, omniscient, it will sometimes get so wrapped up with a character's point of view that it becomes first person, limited. I find this very funny, when done properly.

But I'm learning that you can only do that with one character at a time. If multiple characters "corrupt" the third person, omniscient narrator in a single scene, then the reader needs a degree in quantum mechanics to understand what's going on. To alleviate this, every sentence must begin with a tag, like "Fred thought..." which becomes clunky, tedious, and terrible.

And I'm hoping to make this (long novella/short novel) clunky, tedious, and middling.

Nevertheless, the first of twelve chapters is written. There are five thousand, one hundred, and ninety-four words in this draft.

When it's readable, I'll post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment