Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My doctor refused to see me.

A nurse dourly explained that my doctor was a pediatrician, and pediatricians only see children, and I am twenty-five years old, and twenty-five-year-olds are rarely children, because when a twenty-five-year-old tries to play a children's game like kickball, their feet get tangled in their ivy-like curtain of pubic hair.

"That's profiling!" I said, crossing my legs.

The nurse didn't care. She said that my doctor only sees patients who are younger than twenty-one, and I'm twenty-five, which is four years older than twenty-one, and--

"I mean, yes, I'm twenty-five," I conceded, "but I've been told that I can pass for a 'haggard twenty-three!'" I raised an eyebrow and smoldered at her.

The nurse didn't care. "Pediatricians specialize in pediatrics, which is a branch of medicine dedicated to young human beings, which is--"

"I get it!" I stomped my feet. "I know the derivation of 'pediatrics!' I have a Master's degree!"

"Exactly," she said, and left me at the counter; alone, flustered, and closer to death than almost everyone in the waiting room.

Mom consoled me with a juice box.

1 comment:

  1. Look on the bright side: you got a juice box and didn't have to sit awkwardly in the waiting room, towering over all the children who look up at you like some sort of post-grad King Kong and want nothing more than to launch a fleet of toy airplanes at your hitherto well-meaning face.

    ReplyDelete