Friday, August 20, 2010

I've found a nice process!

I'm re-writing my first screenplay (the one about the rats who are trying to evolve into birds).

Every day, I:

print out the script,

re-re-re-write the existing scenes,

write new scenes,

plan for later sequences,

type it all up,

sleep,

and repeat.

I'll be immodest and say that the first eleven pages are tighter than a virgin's doughnut. They're among the best work I've ever done.

It's amazing how much confidence this instills in my work...

...and even more amazing that every single professor at USC discouraged us from re-visiting old scenes. They would have lynched me for following this process.

You'd think that a writing program would emphasize 'finding a writing process that suits you,' instead of 'loathing your work and yourself.'

But I guess that's important...they probably have a lot of screenwriting students who are too well-balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment